11.01.2006

It's a bird, it's a plane

Our first halloween with a kid was a lot of fun! We went trick-or-treating in our neighboorhood with a friend from church (who also happens to be a neighbor) and then went to another friend's house to eat chili. Charlie looked adorable in his Superman costume, chosen by his father, of course. I would have picked something cutesy, like a pea or a frog but I appreciated my son's cuteness in the costume of his father's choosing. :)



I decided to dress up at the last minute, at the request of my friend Leslee. I was Ryan Moody and she was a cowgirl...with a Strawberry (her daughter Lexi).




On a different note...I made a carrot cake (including icing) from scratch yesterday for the chili party and I was very proud of myself. Here is a picture of my masterpiece. The recipe was from one of my Junior League of Savannah cookbooks and I even decorated it myself, with help from my favorite magazine Real Simple. I cannot stress enough how much I love this magazine. It makes me want to become a domestic diva or a stay-at-home WASP (for a definition of WASP, see my friend Jill's blog). So if you're bored, you really must peruse realsimple.com. I also can't recommend enough Martha Stewart's holiday magazine with instructions for homemade gifts - I'm definitely in the mood for crafting now. :)

2 comments:

WASPy Girl said...

Hi Emily, I am a big fan of Real Simple too. Just renewed my subscription recently b/c Josh's niece was doing this magazine drive for her school. They do convey some useful WASPy-type info.

I haven't had much luck with their recipes, though...Except for the gingerbread pancakes. Remember those? They are still a big hit.

Anonymous said...

Charlie looks so cute as Superman!
Looks like a fun time- and great job on that cake.
(I won't even tell you about the time I tried to do icing from scratch.)