9.04.2008

And it keeps on comin'

Not that we really needed ANOTHER reason to strongly-very intensely-vehemently dislike Gloria Steinem but regardless, we have one. She has now weighed in on Sarah Palin with a whacked out opinion.

I really can't believe it. She has contradicted her basic beliefs in a big way and there are many crazy things in this LA Times article but I can't resist commenting on the last paragraph:

And American women, who suffer more because of having two full-time jobs than from any other single injustice, finally have support on a national stage from male leaders who know that women can't be equal outside the home until men are equal in it. Barack Obama and Joe Biden are campaigning on their belief that men should be, can be and want to be at home for their children.

Are you kidding me? Being a mom and having a career is the overwhelming cause of the suffering of women in this country? Suffering? That is nothing short of ridiculous. There is no doubt that motherhood involves suffering but that is part and parcel of the job irregardless of any other factor. I cannot believe that this statement came out of the original femi-nazi. So to avoid this suffering, women should give up one of their full-time jobs? If so, which one? And as someone who has never mothered while working, I find her hardly qualified to speak on this matter.

And since when is the domesticity of fathers an Obama/Biden campaign slogan? If anyone is looking for advice on how fathers can "be equal in the home" so "women can be equal outside the home," perhaps they should schedule a coffee date with Todd Palin, who seems to be um, writing the book on this subject.

Oh - before I forget: make sure you don't miss the excellent journalism of Us Weekly, the magazine that claims to deliver the "latest breaking news and information on top celebrity stories, style, and more." If you want to know about Bristol's boyfriends tatoo or what baby gifts Bristol received from Jamie Lynn Spears, make sure you check out http://www.usmagazine.com/. From what I read, they should have stuck to fashion and celebrity news. Politics is really not "their thing."

3 comments:

WASPy Girl said...

Oh, Gloria.

The role of Todd Palin has been seriously overlooked so far. I agree that Sarah Palin is living the life that Gloria has fought for all these years. She should be thrilled!

Marlo said...

I have not been surprised at how the left has shown their hypocrisy on the choice of a woman for the Republican V.P. And I'm sure it just infuriates the likes of Steinem all the more that she has 2 examples of "possible causes to abort"(in an pro-abortionists mind) right in Palin's very public family.

Oh, Emily, I'm loving all of this politics on your blog! :)

Janelle said...

I agree. I just don't get the modern feminist movement. I would consider myself one of the most liberated women in the world. I got to choose when I got married, what job I would like to have, and to stay home and be a mom. However, keep in mind that G.S. said that marriage is a prison and now she is married. My guess is that G.S. is still just searching for God and peace. Maybe one day she will get there. Until then we will have to listen to her. Poor us!