4.16.2008

Need some help...



...from you veteran moms...I AM EXHAUSTED. And Elliot is sleeping from about 8:30/9pm until 7:30 am (I do feed him at 10:30, just before I go to bed, though). The question I have is: IS THIS NORMAL? I am getting about 7 - 8 hours of sleep per night and am still so incredibly weary. I get so tired in the early afternoon that I swear I could take a 3-hr nap. And I'm exhausted again around 5pm and can barely hold my eyes open at 9pm...and staying awake to feed Elliot at 10:30 just about kills me. Why am I so tired and is it going to end? Is taking care of a wild 2 year old and a newborn while trying to sell this house/find an apartment/move/quit my job just draining all my energy (these tasks, by the way, are much harder than any hard day at my former office job!)? Is there a vitamin or something I can take to fix this problem? I am used to having limitless energy at my disposal so needless to say, I'm feeling a bit discouraged...so I'd appreciate any input or advice, especially in regards to whether or not anyone else has experienced this!

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40: 29-31).

6 comments:

Sarah said...

When you mentioned a vitamin, I immediately thought of what I take. It's a little pricey, but it's called vitalizer. I actually take this vitamin combo in place of a prenatal. I have a soon-to-be 2 year old, and I'm due with our second in June. I feel great, and the only sleep I need is 8 hours at night. Here is my website that you can do a search for vitalizer and "read all about it." Also, are you drinking enough water? That is so huge.

Sarah said...

oh, yeah, the website: www.shaklee.net/sarahmaffet

Anonymous said...

Em-

I would like to talk to you more about this, ind-epth. these are my words EXACTLY. I told Pat that I think I am dying...then realized some days that is really what I would prefer. Eternal rest....:)

Motherhood in the tired department kicks my tail, and I am a healthy, in-shape person like you. so, all to say, I think it is really, really normal. But don't base too much 8 weeks post-partum either. I have found that my energy is simply less right now than it was with just Anna. And I have to stay home more, run errands less, and pace myself, in order to stay happy and healthy. So, your stage in life is tough. Don't forget that. Sometimes the mental and emotional stress we feel, comes out in our bodies more than our minds....praying for you right now!!!

Maryanne

Katherine Maxey said...

Emily- have you ever thought about not getting Elliot up for his 10:30 feeding? I was rigid on that one with Will b/c I wanted the continuous sleep, but was too tired to stay up that late with AB. It made more sense to feed her, put her down at 7:30 or 8 and then have her wake up on her own. I ended up having to get up in the middle of the night for a while but at least I could go to bed early. Getting to bed and getting up once in the middle of the night seemed to help and I actually got more sleep than if I stayed up til 10:30 and slept til 7. You could try it. Or you could back that 10:30 feeding up to 9:30 or 10 and see how he does. He might surprise you by still going to 7.
Katherine

Marlo said...

I'm not much help in this area Em. But if you find something that works, please let me know!

And since your sister has had thyroid issues, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get that checked out with your doctor. That is a big symptom of thyroid disorder (though if yours is on the border, like mine, they won't do anything about it.) :(

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,

What you describe sounds about right for a new mom to an infant and an ACTIVE 2 year old little boy. you are not only feeling the exhaustion from a new baby, but you also have Charlie to chase after, spend time with, and fill his every need--he is still dependant upon you for pretty much everything. it will get better--or you learn to adjust (which one is true I don't know:-)). hang in there, Charlie will soon become one very useful helper and it will help some. your energy will return, maybe not tomorrow or next week, but it will return--the all night sleeping will help. grab a nap anytime you can!! looking down the road--it only gets more draining (and at the same time rewarding)the more little ones you add.:-)